The 24/7 emergency hotline on 061 261 15 15 is staffed 365 days a year!
In a dental emergency, it is vital to take the right steps immediately:
- call your dentist as soon as possible.
- If your own dentist is not available, call the medical emergency hotline 061 261 15 15. The call handler will then refer you to the on-call emergency dentist. All dentists licensed to practise in the cantons of Basel-Stadt and Basel-Landschaft participate in the emergency dental service.
What to do if you have a dental accident:
- Stay calm and don't panic
- If the bleeding is severe, bite on a piece of gauze or a cloth handkerchief
- Call your own dentist or the emergency hotline on 061 261 15 15 as soon as possible
Look for the bit that has broken off. Place it in a special tooth preservation canister (available from pharmacies) or in water as quickly as possible.
Find the tooth and pick it up – be sure to hold it by the crown side only, never touch the root. Never clean the tooth, even if it's dirty! Get the tooth in a moist environment as soon as possible, ideally in a special tooth preservation canister (available from pharmacies). If you cannot get one of these special canisters, put the tooth in cold milk or wrap it in cling-film.
VERY LOOSE OR DISLODGED TOOTH
Leave the tooth alone, do not manipulate it. Be very careful when chewing.
Back to Top